Driving me nuts..

nomad

I have recently opened a new IPB forum. I use email validation for new (prospective) members. Most members received their activation emails. However, in all cases the Admin notification of new members (to me) was sent to spam. Even worse was the message (in red) that this email was possibly a a dangerous email (words to that effect)

Now it appears that the verification email is going straight to the recipients spam box !! Gmail appears to be the main culprit. When the notice is sent to me there is no problem, but when the verification mail is sent to gmail members then it is a problem. I have added notices to guests to check their spam. Most of my members are getting on and not completely computer savvy. If I were a prospective member and checked my spam with a "possible dangerous email" I would be concerned !

I have contacted support and they have tried to sort out the problem. It appears that the mail server being used is new and untill the the user mail servers recognize that the mail being sent out by hawkhost's mail servers ? are legit then this problem will continue. Hotmail, Yahoo, even Facebook are fine. gmail and sky appear to be the main culprits so far. Thanks to H.H. for trying to help me out of this, talk about spam going to far :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

The silence says it all. It's all about the content of the email and the reputation of the server. So you have a forum software IPB and it sends out an email that looks identical to every other IPB based board. It also looks similar to that of every forum software. So thats a lot of volume of the same type of email and which is why it gets flagged as spam no matter who is sending it. Not a whole lot one can do to resolve that other than changing the template and building a reputation as a reputable sender domain.

The silence says it all. It's all about the content of the email and the reputation of the server. So you have a forum software IPB and it sends out an email that looks identical to every other IPB based board. It also looks similar to that of every forum software. So thats a lot of volume of the same type of email and which is why it gets flagged as spam no matter who is sending it. Not a whole lot one can do to resolve that other than changing the template and building a reputation as a reputable sender domain.

I'm a bit confused how the mail is sent/received,admin notification. This is how i see it, please correct me if I am wrong. A member registers and the mail is sent via the host with a validation email. The return validation email is then sent (again)via the host to the the Admin, also the notification of a new member is sent the same way. In other words the hosts Email sender controls all emails, except for the recipients mail client.

After some extensive testing with the support staff I received this support email.

Well then it's based off of reputation and our IP's do not have enough

reputation to not have those emails marked as spam by gmail. We can't do

anything about that other than people marking stuff that is not spam as such

and building the reputation of our IP's.

I agree with most of your assessment above, but surely the hosts ISP's mail server is out of my hands. As for IPB Standard template I'm certain there is nothing I can change there. I do mark every "spam mail" as authenticate and hopefully that helps. I have run many forums, and only once had a similar problem. It turns out that the hosts server was rejecting the notification as spam as my admin address was not actually being shown within the cpanel. By adding an account into the cpanel mail system admin@mydomain did it solve the problem. I have never experienced any problems before. Maybe it's the answer. If my assumptions are wrong then please let me know. Thanks....

• 3 weeks later...